24/7 meshed towns/Dedicated relays

Yes, around 100 F or higher, the device will stop charging.
This helps protect the battery from overheating.

2 Likes

To add to this per @Jin_Gotenna: “Lithium batteries should only be charged when it’s less than ~40C (~100F) and above ~0C to prevent damage.”

2 Likes

Not sure where to post this question, here or as a new topic but how are you guys (those lucky ones with mesh devices) securing your stationary relay devices. I have read comments that say they are keeping there dedicated mesh relay device(s) at home and others at work, but where lol.

1. Where are you guys stationing them at home?
    (i.e top of roof, chimney, hidden in tree front/back yard, if inside are you simply leaving them on kitchen table)

2. Same question as above but for work?

Correct me if I am wrong but my thoughts on leaving one on for relaying would be to station it somewhere high preferably outside vs inside to maximize signal.

Share what you are doing and what works / not works.

4 Likes

I’d be curious in a poll going out identifying how many goTennas were purchased and what the user is intending on doing with the “extra”. I bought 2 but had no intention on setting up a stationary node. I bought 2 so that if I go hiking/camping I can have 1 with me and 1 with another family member. Setting up a stationary node is not something I see feasible without me having to unhook the node prior to going camping, and if I’m going to set one up well I’d mount it in a high location which would make unhooking the node a task (i.e. pulling out a ladder, etc).

A statement was made about there being a good chance that those who purchased 3+ (which is 50% of backers) are setting up a stationary node is worth validating. Had I ordered 3+, it would’ve been because I had additional family members (i.e. I have young children atm) who I wanted to have a device were we to go camping. I’m genuinely interested in setting up a node, but only if the price was cheaper to warrant having an “unused” goTenna…unused in in quotes because I wouldn’t be using it for myself or my family outright.

I’m not trying to poo-poo the idea that people are setting up their own stationary nodes because obviously they are, I’m just not sold that it’s being done to the extent imagined. A poll at a reasonable time in the future would help (re)evaluate that perception. I wouldn’t do it now since folks are still receiving their goTennas and because we should allow for goTenna to get caught up on backorders to see how the community responds.

1 Like

We’re probably not going to send out a poll — we’re going to limit email communications to essential updates — but on imeshyou.com you can filter your search for people who have self-identified their stationary relay nodes. It won’t be all of them (most people aren’t using imeshyou.com or visiting these boards yet… & other people would rather not share about their nodes I suppose), but it gives you a sense where we are 1 month into launching:

PS/EDIT: We (or anyone else) can create polls via the message board too by the way. Maybe best to wait til we have more users on here though, but just FYI!

1 Like

http://community.gotennamesh.com/t/project-moan-mother-of-all-nodes/275/30?u=gua742

3 Likes

I will be monitoring this for sure!!! Good comment @kb1eea!!!

1 Like

Understood and thank you for confirming, I tried drilling 2 holes. To ventilate the case passively, That did not work, Nevada is warm, the inside temperature gets up to 138 f the solar panels get to 152 f. I then put a fan to draw fresh air in. That allowed the cellphone to charge.

I’m using 2 linear Voltage regulators to power the 5V charge Circuit and a 12V side of the box. The fan runs on the 12 v side. Which will power a pi running Android. Looks like I will have to redesign the DMRM [meshie] Dedicated Mesh Relay Node.

It will need to be bigger.

Thank you for your prompt attention

Sdonovan

1 Like

How to set up a node with longer battery life, like a week or so.

Here is the video below and also the link to the external battery to get. ENJOY!

2 Likes

When over heated and charging has suspended, does the Gotenna mesh bypass the battery and use the input power ? or at that point is the battery the sole source of power?

Sdonovan
kb1eea

2 Likes

Good question! I have a temp logger in place and I’ll have the data from it soon. Thanks for the great question @kb1eea

Check out the MOAN thread, LOTS of new stuff just posted y’all might find very helpful! :slight_smile:

It’s not coming: IT’S HERE! Enjoy the trailer!

@Mark See the MOAN thread, just posted a TON of stuff there.

1 Like

@gua742 catching up now. Thanks.

1 Like

What would be the smallest portable solar panel that would bring the gotenna’s back to 100% asap the next morning? I’ve got to hide a couple of gotennas between home and my daughters school to guarantee connection, unless I find another parent’s home at handy locations in between?

3 Likes

And assuming there are not a lot of other users around, what would be the ideal distance between relay gotennas to ensure connection? Assume suburban density without heaps of highrises.

1 Like

No terrain is created equal, so you have to get out and see what works in your area. :slight_smile: We’ve heard everything from a few blocks to 4 miles point-to-point (ea. hop) in suburban areas! That being said, elevated positions for your nodes will improve range no matter where you are!

1 Like

I’ve gotten six miles with the MOAN unit BUT @danielagotenna is totally right, no terrain is created equal.

1 Like

@sarah_david, Here is the answer to your question in video format. I’ll get this one up and running ASAP and of course post it here. Great question BTW…

2 Likes