24/7 meshed towns/Dedicated relays

I could probably rig something (possibly a plastic bag wrapped around the USB cable might be good enough for short-term testing/use. This would be the easiest solution, just need to get a long distance USB power cable to power it.
However, it also means I don’t get to add a high gain antenna to the unit.

At this point, I’m very interested in Project MOAN.

@gua742, will you be selling these boxes or can I possibly pay you to modify a mesh unit or two with an SMA antenna port?

3 Likes

:eyes: post above…

I have another way to extend the heck out of the battery life that is WAY more simple. I’ll post that ASAP.

This message has been sent from George’s iPhone. If you need to reach him right away please call or text (206)-488-8987

Thank you.

Tonight I am going to take one apart and see how exactly how to do it. I’ll let you know how it’s done and if you don’t have the skill to do it I will do it for you free of charge. because #imeshyou (little play on words there), but seriously I’d do it for free.

As far as selling them I don’t think so BUT I will most def give out free step by step instructions on how to do it and for groups such as yours (BTW what you do is VERY VERY VERY important and thank you for helping out your community!) I’d do it for cost of the parts.

3 Likes

Awesome. Thank you. Look forward to hearing how it goes tonight. Still waiting for my order.

2 Likes

Progress has been made! The antenna, solar panel and some other parts came in today!

2 Likes

@Advocate For something WAY more easy to build I think this would be great HOWEVER: The external battery I have is WAY to big and WILL block RF. A smaller USB external battery is needed inside this size, I got the perfect one! (see link below the pics)…

What about meshed balloons? Ok, don’t laugh as I did, but, really, think about one of those weather type balloons (or something similar) with mesh unit(s). These balloon(s) would be used at events mentioned in other threads (burning man / or any large events to include emergency, sport events, state fairs, camping etc). I like the idea of MOAN (did i get that right @gua742) but I also think use of a balloon is not a bad idea for certain situations. The balloon can have gotenna logo with #meshyou on it or any other creative self marketing idea, you launch the balloon 50 feet or so and let the relay meshing start :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Jin_Gotenna and @raphael

SO! I got one of the Mesh units open without damaging it and now I just need to know here the center of the coax should go and the outer part should go. To recap: Basically the center of the coax would go off the fractal antenna and the ground plane is where? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

5 Likes

@gua742, it’s very impressive that you were able to open the housing without damaging the board!

Regarding your request, unfortunately we cannot help you attach an external antenna since it voids the warranty and the FCC certification, BUT we can share with you public information we have sent to Agency Certification Lab, such as photos below. That being said, good luck!

5 Likes

Thanks @Jin_Gotenna
@gua742 here is a zoomed in version of the 1st image :wink:

7 Likes

So, I am guessing this would be the way to go :wink:

2 Likes

BTW great use of hot glue!

2 Likes

@gua742 All correct!

3 Likes

@Jin_Gotenna you make my little nerd RF heart pitter patter.

2 Likes

Silicon rtv works also

1 Like

I am watching this thread aswell… my testing is starting out with a drone, but I was thinking the long term would be using a yagi, but the omni is a good thought for providing mobile connections.

3 Likes

what about using a dish reflector? that will boost gain and still not void warranty. fcc would still be an issue though.
we would use old dish network dishes with new clamps on the arm for ubnt and Motorola canopy radios…

3 Likes

@Idaho_Fluke NOW THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!

You had me at yagi and really got me at dish.

1 Like