24/7 meshed towns/Dedicated relays

It’s not coming: IT’S HERE! Enjoy the trailer!

@Mark See the MOAN thread, just posted a TON of stuff there.

1 Like

@gua742 catching up now. Thanks.

1 Like

What would be the smallest portable solar panel that would bring the gotenna’s back to 100% asap the next morning? I’ve got to hide a couple of gotennas between home and my daughters school to guarantee connection, unless I find another parent’s home at handy locations in between?

3 Likes

And assuming there are not a lot of other users around, what would be the ideal distance between relay gotennas to ensure connection? Assume suburban density without heaps of highrises.

1 Like

No terrain is created equal, so you have to get out and see what works in your area. :slight_smile: We’ve heard everything from a few blocks to 4 miles point-to-point (ea. hop) in suburban areas! That being said, elevated positions for your nodes will improve range no matter where you are!

1 Like

I’ve gotten six miles with the MOAN unit BUT @danielagotenna is totally right, no terrain is created equal.

1 Like

@sarah_david, Here is the answer to your question in video format. I’ll get this one up and running ASAP and of course post it here. Great question BTW…

2 Likes

Been away for a few days skydiving, I am sure there are questions that need to be answered and if you still need answers to questions I have not yet answered please PM me or post them here and I’ll answer them ASAP. For now enjoy the video below and you know I was wearing a GoTenna shirt while jumping! :sunny: :smile: :+1:

Nice project! Looking forward for the results on the 2W panel with the small case. @sarah_david I’m working on something similar where I’ll put this kit, a 2W panel and an external battery together with the GoTenna inside a single case. The case (Tactix large water resistant case) is a bit larger . The dimensions are 21,5 x 12,8 x 5,5 cm inner and 25 x 15 x 6,8 cm outer (don’t know the size in inches, but it’s probably easy to convert). The reason I went with the Voltaic Systems kit is because the battery pack has an “always on mode” which you can read about here, and it can be charged through the solar panel simultaneously as it’s charging the GoTenna. I’ll hopefully have all the components for this project at the end of this week and will post an update on it then.

DON’T get the Anker PowerCore+ it must be activated with a button to start charging!

@sarah_david Sarah, it’s worth noting that goTenna Mesh will work as a relay node without you having to do any DIY hardware hacking. If you put it up high enough on a roof or chimney stack or a pole of some kind, you may get all the range that you need in your neighborhood. It’s worth trying out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@arcturus Interested in your results with the batter and solar device you shared. Especially the always on feature. According to the information in the link you provided, the power bank can turn off after 20 minutes of no power withdrawal or falls below the wattage use threshold (“They are designed to shut themselves off after about 20 minutes of little or no power draw. This will usually occur if the device they are charging is full or is disconnected from the battery. To re-activate the output, the power button on the battery must be pressed. This helps conserve power in the battery.”)

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the mode the battery is in when you receive it. Press the button for about 6 seconds and it will turn into always on mode. Then the battery will continue to provide power until it’s drained. If it’s drained and the sun starts charging the battery again it will automatically turn on and start providing power to the gotenna in the always on mode

2 Likes

Here are some pics of the project. Gonna put this outside now to see how it performs. :smile:

6 Likes

Make sure you have breathing holes to vent out any heat buildup.

Is the solar panel waterproof?

Yes, that’s a good recommendation! I myself am more worried about the cold that’s knocking on the door of Stockholm, Sweden where this is deployed. :snowflake::snowman_with_snow: But for anyone in the warmer climates who want to make something similar that’s a good idea.

The solar panel is waterproof so you can put it outside of the case if you like. That’s probably a better solution and to put the case in the shade to prevent from overheating

1 Like

Mesh is designed to work between these temperature ranges: 4 F to 140F

@rmyers look, there’s someone else from Sweden in our mesh network :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All I know is that MOAN has been doing a great job however it’s going to only get better!
Max range so far is 9.80 miles BUT we are going to + the dBd of the antenna AND use directional antenna(s) to really get this thing going! No to far off in the near future the Seattle area with be all meshed up. It’s not a dream: It’s what I am going to make happen.

3 Likes

I was reading through this thread from the beginning and was just about to recommend the same kit from Voltaic. I have their V72 battery and 17 watt panel which unfortunately lacks the always on feature. Other than that, Voltaic is quality stuff. Those smaller packs have always on, and I’ll likely be picking one up for a dedicated node. Just ordered a 4-pack earlier today and excited to get started.

4 Likes