Aboard a cruise ship

OI had the same idea just last week and bought a two-pack fast shipped home that arrived just in time to take it with. I goat-roped my niece into testing out the mesh network with me and we were both impressed. On board the Carnival Sensation with two nodes we had a range of about one third of the ship if the signal had to travel between decks or all the way across if we were both outside our staterooms. Ship-to-shore comms were solid as long as we didn’t have too much obstruction. We did quite well with only two nodes and what problems we had we were able to chalk up to that fact. We just got back yesterday.

I told the rest of my family that even if they didn’t use the device, they could carry a relay with them just to help. We’re planning on using it again on our next cruise, but I have other applications to use it for as well.

6 Likes

Two units went at least this far. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome pic and darn fine performance, I’d say.

Just guessing, somewhere around 1/2 mile, maybe a little more? it’s a big ship! Was the ship unit on the shore side or on the away side?

2 Likes

The ship unit was shoreside aft, somewhat canted away. It kept working until I went deeper ashore amid thick shrubs and trees and pavilions. A relay somewhere on the beach would have been helpful, but I was satisfied with the performance given where we were and the time we had.

4 Likes

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I did a cruise on the Celebrity Infinity last week.

The gotennas would not work from our stateroom on the third floor to the restaurant on 10. If we were both out of the room, you could get better range.

There is a library and computer room on 7/8 midship that might be a good place for a relay GTM.

Something to try next time.

I got no responses to shouts, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I used 2 units on a recent Carnival Cruise. Some dead spots on board but had good range when we were both on outer decks. I suspect that with more units on board the relay function will increase coverage. I have just purchased 2 more and will see if there is any improvement on my next cruise.

1 Like

I put mine on the balcony, worked better.

2 Likes

I took 4 mesh units on our cruise a couple of years ago. I had one in relay mode on the balcony we had coverage on all the decks, but down on the lowest deck near the medical room. Mesh is amazing how it can improve coverage.

4 Likes

The stateroom is a metal box, no RF will penetrate metal, it only bounces around.