Cape Fear and Florence

Well, folks, it looks like everybody around the lower Cape Fear is preparing for the worst. I’ve been here for almost 20 years and I dont really recall the concern I’ve been seeing today. I wish we had more density around here but I’ve never been able to find anyone with my shouts.

2 Likes

I’m seeing comparisons to 1996 Hurricane Fran which I lived through. That was a bad one. In Durham we were without power for a week. Raleigh was hit hard with trees down everywhere. So much so we were using every available axe and chainsaw to cut the trees blocking the roadways. Stay safe. I remember the aftermath the apartment building had one side wall papered by finely shredded leaves and grasses you couldn’t see the siding underneath.

2 Likes

Of course please be safe. You may also still have time to spread the word and maybe get your neighbors and such to buy into the devices so you can all communicate. I am seriously trying to put a plan together for my town. We were badly affected by Hurricane Sandy. Many of us didn’t have power, cable, internet, or cell service for 10+ days. The GTM network would have been great back then.

Good luck to you down there.

2 Likes

Yes, stay safe down there!

Hopefully you have enough units to keep you connect to your closest loved ones (if they’re not braving it right next to you anyway). Also as @Majestic calls out, there is still enough time for others to go to brick & mortar stores and buy a few units — you can locate area stores that might have inventory here: https://www.gotenna.com/apps/store-locator/

Thanks, guys. Hopefully this won’t be as bad as the forecasts are looking but if it stalls like it looks like it will then things will be really really bad. I have a rule, though. I dont ride out anything over a 3 and we have a toddler and one on the way so we got out ahead of the crowd.

3 Likes

Where did you go to? I would go as far West and South as possible. Mainly West then South.

4 hours west. The concern when I got to Charlotte was “will this be like Hugo?” which left a lot of the western side of the state without power and a lot of clean up in the late 80s

1 Like

Yeah, and looks like the storm is tracking more Southerly now. Charlotte is a nice place to end up. Lots of the big name hotels have generators now. I was pleasantly surprised in the 2010 (or was it 2009?) heavy snow in Hartford back how the Hilton Garden Inn had power when the rest of the neighborhood was dark.

1 Like

There is still a lot of flooding across the state and I can’t get back home yet. The highways are covered with rivers expected to crest in the next day or two. I’ve tried to put the word out about GTM.

1 Like