GoTenna Mesh Class at Porcupine Freedom Festival

Saw the news about txTenna. Very interesting. I’ll be giving a class on mesh networking, GoTenna Mesh features and usage, at http://porcfest.com/ - a festival in New Hampshire that draws a few hundred crypto, decentralization types. Each attendee of the class will leave with a GoTenna Mesh. The event is at a campground that always has spotty internet access (on a fee wifi) and limited cellular carrier connectivity.

Seems like a perfect non-disaster use case and test bed - I plan on running a few test once the network is deployed. I’ll definitely tell everyone about Samourai, but if a version supporting txTenna is available by June 19th I can make sure class attendees download and try it out in the wild.

I’d be interested in any support from GoTenna and Samourai. :smiley:

7 Likes

Ccing @TDevD from Samourai.

From goTenna, how many units? (We sell in pairs.) we could give you a bulk discount if you buy em all at once!

5 Likes

That sounds great. I’ll have numbers soon and will direct message to discuss. I’m hoping to get a few dozen signed up and a dozen or so more bringing their units. We also are aiming to deploy a LibreMesh network as well.

Thanks for cc’ing samourai, I downloaded the app today. Sending Btc over GoTenna Mesh sounds fun, and totally agree with the goals of resilient, robust, decentralized alternatives for broadcasting currency transactions.

3 Likes

Do you have a link to your class signup?

2 Likes
1 Like

Are you planning to attend? Is anyone else planning to go?

The class went well.

I had 16 participants and an additional 2 there to learn and 2 who already know about goTenna.

We paired all the devices and then played around with the features. Then I gave a talk on mesh networking and how I see it fitting into my community.

Later in the week I lead a discussion solely on integrating mesh technology into our community, why, how, should we?, etc. We had a good time.

I invite anyone interested in decentralization to attend the Porcupine Freedom Festival, Liberty Forum, Free State Blockchain Decentralized Assets Conference, Freecoast Festival, ForkFest, or any other individualist/decentralization festivals and conferences here in New Hampshire.

4 Likes

This is excellent! Any chance some (or all :grin:) of your participants joined the community here?

2 Likes

:wave:

Came down from Trois-Rivières to attend Porcfest and took the class. Really interested in the hardware hacking and custom payload aspect of the devices.

I’ll be around!

3 Likes

Wicked good time! I’ll be around Manchester, Concord, and Lake W doing some range testing next week. Hit me up or feel free to respond. Doing a fieldday :slight_smile:

I’m in Manchester and down to mesh. I mapped out our tests in Berlin. I’d expect with the less dense city, straight streets, and being in a valley, we could get much better distances in Manchester than Berlin.

2 Likes

This looks pretty good for .5w in an urban area!

2 Likes

We were limited by obstruction, not the radio. I think it Manchester we’d be limited by the radios, so limited by the mesh hops.