goTenna Mesh Network Map (imeshyou.com) features & enhancements

Many to most people who have permanent nodes near their residences, are probably locating them outside on a tree/mast, solar panel, waterproof cases and similar to give them good range, instead of inside their house where residential walls and wiring can impede signal strength.

If a node is inside someone’s home, it’s not likely to be stolen, but one strapped outside to the tree in the yard with a small solar panel, is a juicy target for thieves, if someone were so inclined.

Here, people roll under vehicles with mechanic’s creepers, small drill and a container to catch the petrol they drain from the gas tank of trucks and SUVs, after drilling a hole in it. They steal light sconces from garages, they steal Amazon packages just delivered.

If they knew there was a $70 “radio” strapped to a tree somewhere in a 100’ radius, they’d grab that too.

My replies interspersed after the > indents.

I simply edit the textual info with the relevant maintenance info and expected date back in service, but I could see where being able to flip the color of relays to red or yellow would make it easier to identify them at a glance without needing to read each one’s text. That would make the map more visually impressive where terminals status could be seen at a glance, especially where made available through the web.

Whether I place a node exactly or not depends on the circumstances. For friends away from downtown, I try to place the case on the roof to best make it invisible from the street and likely other viewing locations, then mark it somewhere within a block of the actual location. That’s accurate enough for a mesh network, because signals will be coming from several different angles most of the time for most users. There’s really no way, even if you know a node location, to tell whether the signal is coming from a certain direction or not.

In other locations, where rooftop access is restricted and the roof otherwise inaccessible, I just don’t see gangs of ninja node thieves making off with the mesh in any case. Even on one-story rooftops, how many will be so bold as to plop a ladder against a house and crawl up there? I realize there are desperate people in different places, sometimes even in the US, but there are many more higher value, easier (thieves hate to work for stolen goods) and less risky access ways to come with targets for thievery before attention might be turned to the goTenna goldmines floating above homes across America and the world.

Hey all. First I suppose I should introduce myself! I’m Matt – a new(ish) developer here at goTenna, and my primary focus is going to be on expanding imeshyou.com. I’m really excited to get some of these awesome ideas rolling. Here are some things I’d personally like to see (a lof of which have been covered):

• More integration into the goTenna apps, including live nodes that automatically update given an internet connection
  • More useful profile and community integration on imeshyou.com (a big first step in this direction is about to be rolled out)
  • Rahul had a great idea for node “time travel”. That is, the ability to view the node map at some given point in the past, as well as planning changes in node positions for the future (planning trips, etc)
  • Private vs. Public vs. Friends-only nodes, and perhaps even entire private node maps
  • More options for community interaction on the node map itself (chat, forum callouts, etc)
  • More ability to add meta data to nodes, including user generated content, and perhaps even marked-up customizable node descriptions
  • Optimization! I really want get the map performance up to snuff. There are lots of avenues to explore in this area, including location aware node loading and heat maps.
  • Many, many more. This is just the beginning!

Please keep posting ideas! I promise you, we’re reading them.

Matt

6 Likes

I think adding a “draw polygon” feature for the node range would be quite useful. While I myself live in the suburbs, many people live in a large buildings or against the mountains which has the potential to block off about 50% of the view of the node.

4 Likes

When not logged in, attempting to place a node on the map, it asks you to login, but the login box appears to be broken. Does not let you login. Can’t click on login. (repeats on Edge and Chrome have not tried FF).

Yeah, they\ve had it under construction recently. I came by one day and it didn’t work and the next it was online and different. FF is working.

For FireFox, Even if it autofills the user name, make sure the green eye on the right side is on or you need to manually reenter it. That’s a little different, also the PW needs a manual reentry as the asterisks aren’t right or weren’t for me anyway.

One thing that would be kind of neat would be giving an option, for stationary relays, to run a test on one of the signal range/generator sites and post that with the node. Then you could see (roughly) what the total range of the various relay nodes are.

2 Likes

How about this?

I opened the node description in the new Menu sidebar you have if you’ve dropped some nodes on the map already. You can also open and edit the directly from the map as in the past IIRC. I just added a link inviting other to try it.

Obviously you can’t highlight and hit enter to link to it that way here (although you can on the screen at home), and I’m also not sure you can make it a hotlink in the node info box. If that was possible, this would be a very easy implementation of your idea.

3 Likes

You could do that, or have another map specifically for relay nodes with the ability to import, perhaps? I don’t remember what site it was someone on here posted before, but I was able to play around with different locations and altitudes to generate maps based off of the local terrain. Now, you could make it so it only incorporated say, anything within 2 miles of the node. I live in a mountainous area, and the splotches for some of them were rather ridiculous, though perhaps not wrong…standing on the exact perfect spot on a mountain top 40 miles away to achieve LOS to utilize that particular GTM might be a stretch lol

So for example, you click on the Relay Only Nodes Map, and it shows the various relays, then click on Bowen Knoll (meh) and it would autofill in the red shaded areas on the map (what is only within a 2 mile radius, of course). This would be a lot more complicated to implement than just a hotlink, but it would give a rough range estimate…based on node height and local terrain. Of course, cities/buildings are a totally different animal…

2 Likes

I [quote=“hobotroid, post:111, topic:156”]
I’m really excited to get some of these awesome ideas rolling.
[/quote]

Here’s another one to add to your list:

• Ability to send a ‘note’ or comment to a node owner identified in the network map.

This would allow us to be able to contact those node owners to say… update their node, remove their node, link to it, or get other details as-needed.

I see a couple of nodes that are marked as ‘mobile nodes’, but are never, EVER online. Might be worth bouncing them a quick note to say “Hey, are these still active? Or should you take them down?”

2 Likes

That could work in some cases, where nodes are scattered and scarce enough that loss of service is possible to attribute to issues with a single node.

When UMESH had just three nodes, that seemed an easy enough call. Then we later discovered the middle node of the first 3 wasn’t absolutely critical. In many cases, it was possible for the 2 end nodes to see each other without resort to the middle one. Saving a hop as a very good thing when there were only three.

The fact that the middle node was down was only discovered during other routine maintenance. The behavior of the system was such that it pretty well masked something was astray. Admittedly if you knew system well and operated regularly in these rather restricted zones where this would have been noticeable, it could have come up obviously enough to attribute to this single node. Or maybe not.

Now we have six nodes. UMESH 5 was down for some time - in retrospect - when I went to update the firmware to 5.0. The old coverage map showed a constriction of the mesh in the southwest quadrant, upon review. The mesh carried right over and past the node, but didn’t extend further than 3 blocks past it. That would have been a hard call, too, because building height and density grow sharply toward that direction, so I attributed the degraded performance that factors rather than DNS (Dead Node Syndrome.)

OK, but what about when there’s a third line of nodes? It’s advantageous if the first and third lines can see each other at certain points, thus skipping a hop in there that can be used further down the line. But once you get solid signals coming from multiple angles, which is what happens except around the edges of the mesh, it will become more difficult that it already is to spot a dead node at all. This is clearly difficult already and will get harder to do, as the mesh thickens.

What to do? Maybe something that aggregates observations in an area and the forwards them in a consolidated manner to potential noticees that could have affected nodes.

Here’s the map’s definition of mobile nodes.

“Mobile nodes show general locations where meshers regularly use their devices.”

You may be putting too much emphasis on “regularly” or perhaps on what is detectable as use. We had the discussion previously about what might or might not be heard from Shouts. It pretty much applies here.

Unless you had the UID of the person whose node notice is “never, EVER online” it’s hard to say they weren’t present NEVER. First, as in the problem of detecting ineffective nodes, hard to tell if they’re there or the one’s responsible for the silence unless you’re equipped with the means to ask them directly. Some may regard that as a bug, many others regard it as a privacy feature.

As we’ve discussed, regular mesh use is generally not like people use amateur radio. The definition as given here is rather similarly non-specific and what regular is means different things to different people. I’m not sure what your definition of regular is, but here all it probably means (vs the stationary nodes marked up this way) is that one is on 24/7 and the other is intermittently.

I even put a “mobile stationary node” node up. It’s mobile at the same time it’s on the air 24/7. Except when I’m messaging in or out, it provides an extension of the mesh network like any other stationary node.

You keep circling back to this talking point, but that’s not the point at all.

Being able to send a quick comment/note to a node owner identified on the map has a lot more usefulness than just “validating node existence”, as I’ve already stated. It could be as simple as “Ping! Are you a valid node?” to “Hey, I’ll be in the area in 3 weeks, here’s my GID, let’s try to link up!”, and more.

1 Like

That wasn’t my primary point here, but seemed applicable since you did end up back in the same territory and in reflecting that I’d only covered part of your question, it also came to mind that we’d been down this path to a similar destination. If you’d had the chance to email all the 100 or so people you thought would be responding to your Shouts on your trip I referenced above, I wonder what the results would have been other than causing a lot of people to engage in regrets over setting themselves up to get more spam?

I raise this question not to assert that was either your goal or intention, but due to the voluntary nature of the map. Just guessing but like many ways in which people are invited to self-report, participation varies but is typically a fraction of the user base. Adding in a way for random strangers to send everyone an email would I suspect, on balance, render the map less useful in the long term.

It’s important to remember that goTenna Mesh is used by a array of users that span the spectrum in terms of their comfort with security and privacy. You seem to be towards the end of the spectrum that maps to similar comfort to that found around ham operators, outgoing and interested in making lots of contacts.

At the other end are people like one of my fellow beta testers. She has considerable expertise with internet security, with a particular interest in privacy. In her opinion, there are ways in which things could be further tightened in this regard, so I’m pretty sure she’d be aghast at this idea.

I’m probably right in the middle of these polar opposites. I would have no problem doing this with the nodes that make up UMESH, because I can see it as a way to engage with users and garner support for network expansion. If it were an OPTION, I’d use it. But I’m not at all sure that you’d find the results system wide to be what you’d like them to be.

I’m also not sure it would help with what I hope is a trend. Having an established and connected area in the center of an urban area like UMESH is tends to encourage those at its fringes to engage in self-help. They know there is mesh network service nearby, so placing their own node along its edges or within it to either extend or improve its service gives them access to the existing coverage. With UMESH, that effort would be rewarded with a tie into a centrally located network that already covers about 3.5 square miles.

Would it be nice to know who else might be contributing to the mesh? Sure, it would be rewarding as all heck.

On the other hand, even friends and colleagues who have cooperated in hosting nodes aren’t necessarily all that interested in being identified. I tend to locate the node pins within a one block radius of the actual location to help preserve the privacy of the node-host. Others are spot-on. So you can’t necessarily count on the location and your seeming proximity to it accounting for a lack of service. And the independent nodes that are erected in and around the fringe of UMESH could be both a source of additional service and be mistaken, when they go down, for a problem that I need to resolve when I likely know nothing more than what is provided on the map.

Speaking of including your GID as an option, that’s already possible to do in the notes you can add to each node. I’m doing this right now in creating the interactive UMESH map that is screen-shotted in the UMESH thread. I’m sure there are some people who’ve already added a GID to their node description, but the fact that most have not suggests many won’t. Our discussion may prompt some to do so, but this also underscores why it might become only a defined fill-in-the-blank option vs the somewhat low-key option as it currently exists.

One of my nodes on the imeshyou.com map I cannot edit anymore. Is there a way to get it back in my account? ? GUID 98020429115113 in the title.

Might be some file wackiness going on. I lost two of mine overnight.
Meshmobile1
UMESH 5

I was moving the Meshmobile into position for the game, got it in the wrong spot, then lost my ability to edit it. I noticed at that point that UMESH 5 had disappeared from my Node list, also. If it doesn’t fix itself over the weekend, I’ll follow-up further on Monday.

The problem in my case turned out to be an artifact present in some of the older nodes where editing it would then lead to loss of ability to edit by the user. It should be fixed now, as mine are A-OK again

I am a ham radio operator and I am seeing many other hams using GA Mesh to supplement their communications. A feature that would enhance the distance of the network be an external antenna connector, SMA perhaps? I know the device is primarily an off grid device but another possibility would be for GA to interact with open wifi networks, you don’t have to be in the woods to lose comms with your cell service, many times you just have to be in a building to be out of service.

1 Like

My understanding of the situation is that the fixed antenna is one of the requirements for using the ISM band the way these are licensed. For now, you have to roll your own if you want something other than what comes from the factory. There is a company that builds goTennas into outdoor enclosures that does this, for instance, and several people here have also taken a stab at DIY mods to add SMAs.

3 Likes

I love this idea! After all, every map pin is from a person who was willing to go through the hassle of creating a user account first. I don’t think they will be irritated or scared away by a message sent from another enthusiastic goTenna Mesh user (as long as spam messages are filtered)

I also see the benefits of contacting people behind Mobile Node pins – I’m sure many of them would be easily convinced to keep their Mobile Nodes powered on 24x7 if they knew someone near them would make use of them. If goTenna figures out how to easily expose Relay statistics to the owner of the device then there will be a much greater incentive to keep them powered on. (for example - Hey my node forwarded 123 messages last week!)

Another suggestion I was thinking of is to have the pin color “fade out” over time unless the user comes back to “refresh” their pin (I don’t think it would be onerous to ask people to confirm every 6 months that the pin they posted is still valid). That would be a great way to show at a glance how “fresh” a node pin is. Alternatively you could add a “last modified date” attribute to the node details.

1 Like