goTenna Mesh SDK talk

Building on this, I drive a Chevy Bolt EV, and for various privacy concerns, I do not use OnStar, and even went as far as to disable it completely. This limits the app to Bluetooth only (which is all I want), but the range is shorter than the key fob.

Would it be possible to use a pair of Mesh units as a serial bridge to enable long range Bluetooth? One mesh stays in the car and is paired to the car’s Bluetooth, and the other Mesh is with the phone. When the car app is opened, it connects to the car through the Mesh units and essentially has a long-range Bluetooth link. Even though the MyChevrolet app does the same this as the fob, the one thing the fob doesn’t offer is a confirmation that the command went through.

I don’t know enough about Android Auto. The best way I can think of requires a host device to act as a gateway between the car and the Gotenna. I don’t know how else you would pair a Gotenna to your car. With BLE pairing is a function of the app.

Surprising how many people would like to start a car with their Gotenna although the cool thing is that if people start using Gotenna Mesh units in other places like their car that also helps to create extra nodes to pass traffic as well.

I would love to have a project like this in my area. We have a few locals talking about it but the closest active node I am aware of is around 40 miles away. I don’t believe we have the population density in my area to do it reliably. It would be difficult to create the redundancy with current interest levels.

Thought I’d ask. I keep a mesh powered up in the car full time anyway (which is surprising that an hour a day of charging is enough to keep it going), and thought that this would be a neat way to boost functionality. The Bluetooth on the car side would definitely be the challenging part.

I was thinking what would be the most universal way to share an SDK file with an unknown Android device. There are built in protocols but we don’t know what the target device will be and we don’t know what other software the target device will have.
Webserver! I don’t think there are that many devices out there that can support a Gotenna that don’t have a browser and WiFi.

Step one: Add a webserver to my app. It will of course be turned off by default but it will be placed somewhere in the menu. I do however recall some kind of issue with adHoc networks on some Android devices / Android builds so that will be my next research subject. I believe all rooted devices can run adhoc networks and only the device running the server needs to be able to support it.

There are other simpler / better ways to do this I but I’m starting here because this technique only requires that you know the capabilities of your device.

I will implement at least one other ways to share the apk file using standard methods but I wanted to implement this first.

Any progress on integrating Apple’s Multipeer Connectivity Framework into a 3rd party gotenna app so non gotenna owners can piggyback into the gotenna mesh network via Bluetooth/WiFi?

Stumbled upon this and wonder how this network could eventually send payments via Blockchain. Maybe a go tenna token since network is built even charge tokens to use network

@Anlo9999 join the discussion on decentralization here.

Wow! Nice. Totally need this for Paragliders/hangliders

Hi all! Anyone built (or building) anything new with the SDK lately they can share about?

Also @Rahul_Subramany what’s ETA for USB SDK?

I second that. I may be more excited about the USB SDK then I was the Android SDK. I really want to connect Gotennas to single board computers and WiFi routers.

Nothing I haven’t shared before but I’m looking into the following projects.
Tasker plugin - For automation
Ifttt.com integration currently works one way by calling a webhooks URL
Cross platform communication - This will allow us to use a Java program to control my Gotenna app from pretty much any device that runs JAVA. Right now you must be on the same network.

Super thrilled by all the enthusiasm around the USB SDK.
Most of the work towards building the Python libraries and documenting functionality is done. What’s left is a whole lot of QA and outdoor testing.
Based on the current status, my best guess is that the USB SDK will be available around April.

Any update on a timeline for a change in the protocol restrictions? Or what the new limits on transmit frequency/size will be?

@madmapper what app are you trying to build?
Noone is yet to build an app that requires more than 5 transmissions/minute per user.

We have been asked to add mesh networking support to an existing marine mammal observation app to facilitate data sharing and create a “common operating picture” among all users on a large complex project. We plan to start Development with GoTenna Mesh and may potentially move to GoTenna Pro.

5 messages per minute sounds fine until you start adding up all the anticipated activity in the app. Also we are required to support period of communication “blackout” where all coms must be shut down. After the blackout ends all the devices will need to “catch up” which might be a tall order at 5 messages per minute.

@madmapper thank you for sharing more info on what you are trying to build. We are currently working on Aspen Grove 2.0 (our next gen Mesh networking protocol), which may increase the # of messages you can send per minute. I’ll share more info on this as we get closer to launch. We are planning on releasing Aspen Grove 2.0 this fall.
The goTenna Pro SDK does not have a cap on transmissions.

Serval mesh has webserver working even for nonroot devices. This was how we eventually were able to share the gotenna and bridgefy .apks for sideload in Puerto Rico.

How can I get the battery level with the Android SDK? Thanks.

Nevermind, I found it. GTCommandCenter.sendGetSystemInfo().

Hi, I am sorry, I don’t know if this is the appropriate thread to talk about this.
But I am having a problem with generating a token at https://www.gotenna.com/pages/sdk.
Are you getting the error “There was an error. Refresh the page and try again.”?
Let me know if you got this error and how you overcame it?

Thank you.