INTRODUCTIONS: Who are you & why are you here? :)

Hello…I just received my GoTenna meshes and gave one to my daughter across down. Planning to hopefully be able to use them in a grid down situation. This is all brand new to me but I love the whole concept. I can see there a few users nearby and I hope to share the knowledge of the mesh with many others so they will see the possibilities and get onboard as well.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I just got my first mesh devices. Was wondering if there is a product and/or feature roadmap anywhere? I searched around a bit but haven’t found one yet.

Any thoughts on getting these antennas into a production cell phone?

What are the hurdles? (Radio size, radio location i.e. being put in users pocket, phone adoption, cost, etc.)

Can you imagine how our range would improve if the radios were built into phones?!? Not to mention ease of use, not having to carry around a second device, etc.

Excited to be a part of the #imeshyou community!

1 Like

Howdy!
I am totally new to mesh network.
I am thrilled to join and learn more.i just purchased 4 units and can’t wait to start meshing!

4 Likes

@imjefe as you continue to explore Mesh Community, you will pick up product features & ideas that we have on our roadmap. We constantly update our roadmap based on feedback from our users. So visit Mesh community often and share your ideas.

The biggest hurdles to adding goTenna Mesh to cellphones are size and adoption.

2 Likes

I’m a full time EMT and before that a CERT member. When I first learned of Gotenna, I specifically asked about using them like repeaters but at that time, the frequency rules wouldn’t allow it. Now that they’re over that hurdle, I’m recruiting to build a network.

This system can be vastly superior to Zello, which is what the Cajun Navy uses. I have no doubt that soon, the CN will be Gotenna users.

6 Likes

I am probably the oldest-in age-GoTenna user. My husband and I live in the mountains of North Carolina where we often lose cell service. We have the same issue when we travel. I thought that the goTenna system would come in handy.

7 Likes

Hello! I’m Emily, from Seattle, living in Brooklyn, and with family in Oregon, and I’m excited to try out the Mesh in all three places - mostly trail running and hiking/backpacking. I think it’s awesome how this technology is being put to use in Puerto Rico and I’m looking forward to getting to know this community better.

3 Likes

Hello Meshbelievers! I live in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and I received an 8-pack of these in today. I’m into hiking as well as over-landing so I’m off the grid at times; I also travel a bit around the country. My goal is to get a significant size mesh network in my community. I did some testing tonight with my brother-in-law to determine the range and I was impressed. Really looking forward to everything that this community has to offer.

3 Likes

Evening all, just got my first of few nodes I’m planning on, much smaller than I expected. My name is Adam, I learned of this via the gen 1 versions and decided to hang back on purchasing, glad I did as I love the thought of the mesh aspect. I’m planning on a couple nodes, one at home, one mobile in my vehicle to go with my dual band mobile, and one for my EDC bag affixed to a strap. My node has been added to imeshyou but I’ll likely amend that once I have the second, more permanent one in place.
I’m curious as to know if one can see the traffic the node relays, if one can see the mesh status i.e. the number of nodes yours is connected to, can one see the number of hops the message takes to reach it’s destination etc. Thanks for taking the time to read and hit me up if you like.

1 Like

Hi there. Mike Lehman of Urbana, IL. My wife has friends who introduced her to the goTenna Mesh by gifting her one and we acquired another pair over the holidays. We’ve set up a stationary relay at 20’ with one and have another 4-pack on order to grow the network near the east side of downtown with hopes to encourage its growth from there.

We’re enthusiasts of the goTenna concept because our friends and community have been longtime supporters of ad hoc wireless meshing. A good friend is Sascha Meinrath, who is head of X-Lab and who began doing work on wireless community mesh services and technology in 2000. Although I was never deeply involved in this effort, we supported it by hosting one of the early hand-built experimental nodes on top of our shop where the goTenna relay currently resides at ~20’ AGL. Things have come a long way when you look at the tiny package with easy, user-friendly features like those found in the goTenna.

We very much look forward to the rumored addition of more than two hops to the relay capabilities and will be testing that added capability around the community and promoting it to friends and acquaintances.

We definitely encourage others to join in building local mesh networks. Look for more stationary relays going on the air near downtown Urbana soon, although the weather may slow deployment some until it warms up. I’ve ordered some small solar panels and batteries to help power them (we hope) 24/7.

2 Likes

Hello World,

I have been dabbling in HAM radio for years and this seemed like a great off grid way for the non techy person to be able to communicate in an off grid situation. Living up in Minnesota with all the open spaces (think north woods) this will be a great way to keep in touch with friends and family while out exploring nature.

Now if I can just figure out how to add the Nodes…

1 Like

Howdy All, I’m Dave and I’m new to the site. I’m a Ham and ex-broadcast engineer. I love electronics and I’ll be diving into the Mesh shortly. A lot of reading to do!!

2 Likes

My name is Phil. I have been looking at the goTenna Mesh for awhile, now I have a pair! Sounded like a really good thing. I live in Tupelo, MS and looking to help the network out here. Both sons have a pair, so we are trying to contribute. Hiking, traveling, camping and traveling are what i enjoy.

1 Like

Hi I’m Blair shoemaker plan on building a gotenna mesh relay network using off grid solar power. I’m electronic technician located in Pennsylvania we have several Mountain tops in my area will make nice relay sites. After deploying the relay nodes I’m interested in being able to ping them to see power levels and feedback from each relay unit. I’m always interested in opinions and feedback and technical info

3 Likes

Hi. I’m Henry, and I’m just an average crank in Northern Virginia. I wound may way here through the ideas of prepping and generally exploring the mostly off grid out of doors. Haven’t played with the new device yet, but looking forward to it–I am excited by the idea. I haven’t jumped down the rabbit hole of HAM yet, but… See you all on the air waves!

2 Likes

Hi all, Tim here. I live in Los Angeles and wanted a method of communicating with my wife if an earthquake hits and cell networks go down while we are at our jobs, separated by 7 miles of sprawling metropolis.

our youngest dog decided to use one of my brand new goTenna Mesh units as a chew toy, less than 12 hours after it arrived in the house. perfect. I wonder if anyone at goTenna is interested in this unit for refurb?

5 Likes

@Blockhead Dunno if you are into breaking open the case to make hardware mods, but your device certainly looks like a great candidate. Might be that the guts are in tact. BTW, I have dogs and have seen this scene way too often over the years… Welcome and good luck!

3 Likes

thanks, Henry. re. modding this unit, I would like to rescue this device if possible and just make it a stationary node (correct terminology?) here at home. we are in a zone on the L.A. map w/ no other mesh users nearby so it would be helpful to have a node here. alas the power switch seems to be buried into the unit so I’m not sure how easy a refit will be.

2 Likes

Yes, a good candidate for a stationary node.:+1::+1:

Cover of the power switch looks intact. It’s underneath that, but protected, so may be OK? Have you tried charging it and turning on or is the micro USB mangled that’s no longer possible?

@Blockhead @henry_sheard @bbwr10coqsm All, please take this convo to another thread (or DM, as this is for intros! :slight_smile: Thanks!!

3 Likes