Mesh 5.0 is here!

Is there any particular reason you aren’t posting a potential solution, at least something to force the GoTenna mesh back into pairing mode? Because I’ve seen several people here already state their firmware update failed and they can no longer pair it, and the answer is always a direct message. I’d think it save you a lot of headache if you just posted at least some troubleshooting instead of handling each one on a case by case basis. Because I’m having the same problem and have also sent an email to goTenna support. Thank you.

5 Likes

Hmm that seems like a good thing to try. Ive got one of mine that is stuck with a fast flashing light and can’t be put into relay mode or paired. Hopefully even the worst firmware issue can be overridden by the USB port and reflashed.

1 Like

I got my unstuck from flashing by pairing it to an iPhone from Android (need to force it to power off and on and hopefully the app sees it before it starts the flashing loop again).

That’s great to hear. When you mean flashing that’s like 4ish blinks per second?

I’m gathering information on each instance. Rather than leave a blanket response I’d like to make sure that individual attention is paid to each issue. These issues are device specific and it’s easier to troubleshoot 1-1 rather than in a forum setting.

That said, if anyone is running into issue, please let me know!

3 Likes

i should have known better then do a major update on a friday :frowning:

5 Likes

That makes sense, and I appreciate the response. That being the case, I too am having one of the listed issues. Left my phone and goTenna Mesh untouched while the update progressed, checked the app after about 30 minutes and it said the updated had failed and to restart the Mesh to try again. Upon restarting the Mesh it will no longer pair, and no longer indicates it is in pairing mode (ie - it turns on, and behaves as if it were paired normally). However, it doesn’t show up in my phones Bluetooth device list, and I’ve let the app try to pair for over half an our and still nothing. So that is where I’m at. I can’t ‘unpair’ the mesh, or put it into relay mode to force an unpair because I can’t connect to it in any form or fashion.

Thanks for providing the information here, I’m sending you a DM :wink:

Yup, when it was bricked the sequence from a reboot was solid white, quick flashes, pulse, then nonstop flashes. iOS was able to catch it while pulsing.

1 Like

Interesting. That is exactly my issue on one of my units. Now I just need to find someone who owns an iPhone.

2 Likes

Hi Virginia,

I’ve got 6 GTMs at firmware 0.13.48. The new IOS 5.0 app did not prompt be to update firmware on any of my GTMs. I was able to successfully update 4 of the GTMs via the manual Setup -> About -> Firmware path. The same manual path does not offer me the option to update the remaining two GTMs, despite identifying that they are running firmware 0.13.48.

If it helps, the 4 successfully updated GTMs were the regular multi-color strap devices. The 2 that won’t update are the special edition black strap devices. I previously had no issue updating these black strap devices from 0.13.46 to 0.13.48.

Help?

Thanks,
-Bill

PS: I’m really pleased to see that the 5.0 update is out – despite these hiccups.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info here! We’ve seen several reports with regards to device with serial numbers that appear as AA12341234 wherein the firmware update is not automatically offered. If you go to Settings > About > Device Info and see this serial number listed for your Mesh devices, please complete the form [here].

We really appreciate everyone’s patience as we gather our next steps to help! :smile:

In the meantime, those who could complete the update-- let us know how your weekend testing goes!!

3 Likes

Hi Virginia,

Bingo – the two black strap edition GTMs I have show serial #AA12341234. My multi-color strap devices show other serial #s.

Note, though, that none of my devices were prompted for the auto-update, but I was able to manually update my non-AA12341234 devices.

I’ve filled out the form.

Thanks,
-Bill

2 Likes

yea, my understanding of how the hop count increases affects non plus users is that my messages would go through to them but i would be unable to see their response as they would be too “far” away. Also how would this work during disaster deployment? if you side-loaded a bunch of apps on devices without the internet, they would have no ability to sign up for the plus membership. In more day to day use if for example i bought 4 or five units for my friends to use when they go hiking with me, i think i would have a hard time convincing them to spend money on the plus subscription. It kinda makes loaning out the devices an inconvenience.

4 Likes

That’s one thing I’d like to know. Do both people have to have the Plus subscription to send across 3 or more relays? Also, in places like Puerto Rico, where a device could be offline for more than a year, wouldn’t that hinder functionality?

Of course, I may not have to worry about that. Without the 5.0 release being compatible with iOS 9, my mom’s phone, two of my personal devices, as well as the stack of older iPhones I got from work for emergencies won’t receive a fix for the notification sound, so messages will continue to be missed when the arrive.

I’m excited for new features, but I feel certain decisions are going the wrong way. These devices should be becoming more independent from the internet, not relying on it more, and they should be compatible with as much hardware as is physically and technically supported.

5 Likes

Hello Virginia, both of my goTenna’s have the AA12341234 and are not updating. Mine both have color straps, green and blue. I submitted the google form.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Mesh 5.0 is here!:

Yes, I am also.

I can tell you the difference the extra hops make is substantial. Depending on how your local mesh is configured geographically, it may make even more difference. Once your relay node count rises as your mesh “thickens” the extra hops means that your message has multiple ways to connect, rather than the one or two choices it gave back when it had only a few.

I mentioned already another thing the extra hops makes practical, putting up a stationary relay or two intended to specifically help yourself. When there were only 3 hops, you really wanted to hit the first node away as far as you could go. That way the next hop would get as far as possible, then your receiver needs to be there to get it/

With 6 hops, this means your reliability and range of connection are both increased. But the extra hops available also help by making other features similar to functions in ham radio that directly help the user.

First is a decent home antenna. What, you say? No way. There’s no visible antenna and you probably didn’t want to crack one open (BTDT, here). You don’t need to do anything other than elevate a goTenna Mesh in relay mode above your humble abode. Yrs, it uses one of your six hops, but it puts your signal at rooftop level, where it’s much more likely you’ll reach others. A decent antenna is the first thing that any radio expert will tel you to improve and this is the easy way to do it with goTenna.

The other neat trick that hams, the state police, and others use is the mobile repeater. Even when you have a nice, powerful handheld, the radio in your vehicle always has it beat. There’s full time power, with a little effort. If you can locate the goTenna in the middle of the roof, you get a really decent ground plane to push they power of the signal toward the horizon. If your truck is somewhat beastly like ours, you can even get a little bit of height. Again, the use of a single hop facilitates a much more functional user environment. You can be inside a structure and usually reach your vehicle’s relay. It will pick up nearby transmissions too weak to penetrate the structure, and add a hop to bring the right inside.

While before, either tactic used up a significant portion of the hops available, when you get to 6 hops, these easy to implement approaches will improve your user experience. The very modest investment in 6 hops is well worth it in terms of the improved performance.

2 Likes

I have two GoTenna Meshes serial numbered AA12341234 – my luck. I have another purchased later that is updating its firmware as I type. Form completed. My question is: does this affect compatibility between the old firmware and current firmware Meshes?

Please find a solution quickly, which I hope won’t involve a swap. I always get antsy not having things updated when they should be available. Thanks for a great product and product support.

I have 2 meshes with aa12341234. I filled out the form.

1 Like

Me too please. App is updated to 5.0. No firmware prompt yet. I did reboot and try unpair, them re-pair (twice). Please advise, happy this day is here, new hike on map, waiting for update :grinning:. Thank you.

1 Like