Mesh 5.0 is here!

Just read about serial AA12341234. Will fill out form.

2 Likes

I think you’ll be fine. The older version (4.2, etc) talks with (but doesn’t get as many hops as) the 5.0, so should be OK between non-updated units and those that are. You should continue getting up to three hops if sent from an older device until you figure how you want to upgrade further to get to 5.0 all around.

1 Like

Ah-ha, it turns out that the devices that didn’t continue the update through to get the firmware update completed were ones with the problematic AA12341234 serial number. Form turned in.

I am also having the same issue as thewmatt

Shout will still be just direct messaging to others within range, with no relay.

This is what pains me. Setting up an emergency network of sorts requires finding others with the device. I have yet to have anybody respond to a shout I’ve done, anywhere.

Having the extra hops will help with this, but get your first relay up first – the one that SHOULD be right above your house, powered 24/7/ It used to be that hop to get up there would be a pretty big penalty in the 3 hop system.

Yup, I have two acting as relays currently on top of my house. I had one paired to a phone in hopes that I could find another if I just had some altitude.

Even if shouts could be 3 hops instead of 6, that could be a huge improvement.

1 Like

I have the exactly same problem, after the update, my gotenna flash but I am unable to pair with my android phone. Any hint how to fix this?

You should get to know your neighbors before an emergency strikes if you want to rely n each other when disaster strikes.

It’s also the case, although I’ve found others with an interest in mesh to be almost universally good people, that selecting people to work with in an emergency situation based on the hardware they may have can be problematic.

I advise building relationships, then building mesh networks, etc based on those existing relationships. Not to say that a Shout can’t connect you to others, just that it’s more productive to build and strengthen existing connections.

With these sort of relationship building efforts, you get to know people and you end up with their GUIDs. You have one-to-one connections that make this possible, in fact preferable for the reasons just stated. This is why I don’t depend all that much on Shout. There are specific situations where Shout is really useful, but the rest of the time you’ll get more use out of specifically addressing people.

Keep in mind there are reasons why Shouts don’t relay. It tends to tie up the network with traffic that really isn’t addressed to anyone specific. Remember that bandwidth is what makes mesh works and things that tend to grant individual users the ability to tie up the bandwidth on a network tend to end up being misused. Buiding a mesh network is a delicate balancing act between what is generally considered a good thing by users and the realities of modern age that needs to avoid granting too much of an opportunity to abuse limited resources that we all depend on.

3 Likes

Literally every one of my friends and family run androids so I’m going to pop by the store and pick up a 6th gen ipod touch (iOS 11) and see if that solves the problem. Still hoping there will be a USB solution for updating that will make all the peculiarities with Bluetooth go away.

1 Like

I agree with all you are saying. My concern is when involving others. If i were to keep a stockpile gotennas for friends and family, they may not be willing to spend the money on the plus subscription since I would be the one owning and lending out the units. So essentially if you have the plus subscription you are limited to only (realistically) conversing with others that have the plus subscription (unless you have multiple android devices on the same account that you are also going to loan out).

1 Like

I have tested 7 of my 8 units and so far have 3 units with the AA12341234 s/n. The colors are 2 green 1 blue. Maybe a trend?

Mesh devices with serial numbers AA12341234 are not being prompted to undergo the firmware update. Likewise, currently, there isn’t a way to ‘force update’. We’re taking a deeper look into this and should have more information on Monday.

1 Like

Yes. AA12341234 won’t take the firmware update. They do still seem to talk to each other — and with the updated one able to try more mesh node jumps?
Problem is — is it a problem with the app recognizing that serial number as a Mesh or is it a chip issue in all those produced in that serial number line? That’s what has me slightly worried.

So… what’s the story behind this serial number. (AA12341234) my understating is that serial numbers should be unique?

For those that have the affected serial number, do the red charging lights look like there is a grille in front of them? My main unit doesn’t have the grille in the lights (uniform glow) and has an MX serial number, but the unit I built into the Moto Mod has the grille (pixelated glow) and its serial is AA12341234.

I’m curious if this affects random devices or just 2017 V1 mesh boards. If so, then my relay is likely also affected, as it and the Moto Mod unit were both black strap units.

1 Like

Well the ipod touch didnt work.

I SPOKE TOO SOON.

After 30 min the ipod touch was able to complete (or restart) the firmware upgrade.
there was no progress bar during the update and the LED on the gotenna continued to flash continuously through the whole process.

2 Likes

I have one that I’m using for a solar relay project and it has an “M” serial number.
Looks to be a 2017 V1 with a metal mesh (lol) over the LED’s.

I believe this one had a purple band, not sure if that matters.

I wasn’t thinking that the strap color mattered. I wonder if the AA serial number affects totally random devices, or a certain batch of these boards.

Agreed, my devices will not sync anymore or get a prompt for a firmware upgrade! I am running iOS 10.3.3

Agreed, I cannot get any of mine to sync anymore with the 5.0 :frowning:

Everyone’s situation is different, so you do have to make adjustments. But there’s no incompatibility between 3 and 6 hops, just a longer reach. You may find this is less of an obstacle then it seems to be, unless everyone is spread out where the extra reach of extra hops is necessary.

If you’re lending out GTMs, you’re also probably hoping that someone decides to keep them because they’re really useful. That can be done on 3 hops, although I have to allow that it’ll be much easier once one can provide the experience of the capabilities o 6 hops.

This is good stuff at list price. If the new user offer of GT+ (normally $29.95) for only $10/year is still available, it’s a heck of a deal.

But please consider something that is usually treated tangentially during these discussions about Shouts needing to relay or just having enough hops. The best thing you can do to extend the reach and involve new users is to put up more relays. A single, well-placed relay does more than whatever is or could be built into any single goTenna Mesh, if you want to keep all the features - small size, low power consumption, long stand-by, etc - the GTM has that standard handheld radios don’t offer in as compact a form.

2 Likes