Mesh 5.0 is here!

I don’t think there is any problem inherent to the AA12341234 serial number. I suspect it’s more a matter of doing a workaround when it pops up, as it’s not unique. I think we will likely have a better idea Monday

I don’t think strap color matters.

Not sure if this matters or not but I was able to upgrade all four of mine with no problem. It just took a long time for each one.

2 Likes

Of my original 4 goTenna Mesh devices, 3 updated successfully, but one failed and now won’t pair. When I try turning it on now, it lights up bright, then one slow glow, then starts blinking rapidly. My primary phone is an Android, but I was also able to try installing the goTenna app on an iPhone. Neither is able to pair with the device that failed in its update.

I also have a 5th goTenna Mesh, a “limited edition” black strap one, which has the AA12341234 serial number issue. I filled out the form you linked to, for that one.

I tried skipping straight to a DM to Virginia on this, but I got an error when trying to send it.

see my comment above. the iphone should be able to do it but you wont see a progress bar and the light will continue to blink rapidly as the update is happening. this takes around 40min to complete. there will be no obvious pairing while the gotenna updates.

I think it might have been that I had denied the app access to the iPhone’s contacts, because messing with it further, I realized it didn’t want to pair to any goTenna Mesh, even the ones that had updated successfully. When I turned that permission on, it paired up and finished the firmware update on the one that had failed.
So, scratch that first issue - more of an issue that the Android version of the app doesn’t attempt to recover firmware updates.
Now I just have the one AA12341234 issue, which given its seemingly pretty widespread nature, I’m sure they’ll come up with a fix for it.

Update failure in the middle. The goTenne mesh keep flashing continuously after turned on and cannot reconnect to the android phone. Please help.

Maurice

Hello Virginia, all 4 of my goTenna’s have the AA12341234 and are not updating, even through the Settings–> About method. They are the “Special edition” Black straps with AA12341234 serial number. I submitted the google form. Ruuning iOS 10.3.3

I sorted through what I have on hand, on the ground, as I prep to replace the ones in the UMESH stationary relays that have test firmware on them. All except the AA12341234 ones updated successfully, with each taking about a half-hour to download and apply the update. Yes, if you start the update, be patient while the GTM blinks at you, then when the download is complete, be patient a little while longer while the update installs with another short round of blinking.

Note: Updates were done with an iP5 and, in the case of the Meshmobile, its iP6.

They’re sorted now, but wish I had some little bunny stickers to apply and mark the non-AA12341234 ones to show they now are capable of extra “hops.” :rabbit2::rabbit2::rabbit2::rabbit2::rabbit2::rabbit2:

1 Like

Would you mind sending me some information on troubleshooting too? Thank you,
matt
mcollord@gmail.com

So is it safe to update the firmware on the units I can? I’m nervous, out of the eight I have four of them are the AA12341234 SN the others are Mxxxx. 40 minutes is a long time for an update and I’ve had trouble doing them before. my last update (13.xx to 13.48) took several attempts.

Go for it. No problems except the ones with AA12341234 serial numbers won’t currently update. All mine that weren’t that serial number were fine, just have to be patient while the new magic happens.

2 Likes

For me, the three that I updated while leaving my phone and the GTM a few feet apart and didn’t mess with them while the update was running, they went fine. The one that was updating when I left to go pick up some pizza for dinner, so I shoved the phone and GTM in my pocket before heading out the door, that one failed. Fortunately (one of the few times I’ve considered this “fortunate” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I had access to an iPhone, which was able to pair to the borked GTM and finish the update. Hopefully, they’ll update the Android app to be able to finish up a partial update like the iPhone app can.

So, “is it safe?” Well, from what I’ve been seeing in this thread, and from my own updating experience, that depends on if you have access to an iDevice. If you’re cautious, updates from an Android will probably work. Just be ready to track down an iPhone, in case it goes wrong.

1 Like

I think the kind of obvious meet-halfway fix would be to allow 6 hops if any one person in a conversation has a plus sub.

2 Likes

That seems pretty reasonable. Basically, whenever someone with a plus subscription sends a message, that message goes out with a 6 hop TTL (time to live), along with a flag set on it that denotes that it came from a plus subscriber. Anyone without the subscription would only get 6 hops on replies to subscriber messages. I’d also suggest that if a group conversation receives a message from a subscriber, then that triggers the group conversation to go to 6 hops.

2 Likes

I don’t mine paying for the service as long as it would work like you stated.

Yeah, if that’s how it ends up working, I’ll subscribe for sure.

I have two Gotenna Mesh that are also unresponsive (I can turn them off and on but they don’t connect). They aren’t AA12341234, they start with MX and are apparently unique serials. I tried to update them with my iPhone SE on iOS 11.3.1. The update went through to 100% with the GoTenna blinking all the way through, then the phone showed the message that the update was being installed, then the GoTenna’s LED just turned off and the same message in the phone was still showing for a very long time. After that I got a message that the update had failed and to restart the GoTenna.

After this the GoTenna can turn off and on, but can’t enter in pairing mode nor it can be detected by the app. When turning it on it just flashes once slowly and the LED stays off. If I press the power button, the LED stays on as long as I push the button. If I turn it on and keep the button pressed for several seconds in order to put it in pairing mode, the LED blinks quickly 5 times, then a slow flash and back again to the same behavior as before.

1 Like

Thanks Andy! I’ll send you a DM with next steps.

I think I can see why there are problems with the firmware upgrade. At least on my Android device the firmware 0-100% dialog comes up 4 times. And after the first 100% dialog it seems to wait for the mesh to reboot and start up again for quite some time (maybe a minute or two) before continuing with the firmware upgrade. So you need to be real patient with the firmware upgrade and make sure the dialog has gone through 4 100% dialog windows. The first is by far the slowest. The last 3 finish in a couple of minutes once they get going.

1 Like

I just finished updating 7 mesh units on an Android Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. All went fine except for the 4th one which never showed me the install success dialog. I put it into relay mode then off and then back into pairing and it reattached to the tablet and showed the new firmware version. Each unit took at least 45 mins so you need to dedicate the devices to firmware updating for that amount of time. My tablet is WiFi only so might be wise if doing it from a phone to go into airplane mode and only enable WiFi and bluetooth for the firmware upgrade.

So the trick is to make sure the firmware install goes through the 4 100% dialog windows before touching the mesh. If in doubt put the mesh into relay mode then shut it off and put it into pairing mode. These were all MX version units. I have one unit that is an AA12341234 so leaving that one off to the side for now until we get an update on that unit.

3 Likes