New range record 47.4 miles!

@StorminMatt one advantage goTenna Mesh has is the ability to re-trying transmissions. If an acknowledgement is not received, the sender can re-try sending the same message and thus increase their probability of success.
If latency is not a major concern, the # of retries can be kept high to ensure reliable comms even when nodes are at the edge of range.

3 Likes

This is true. But when each node is at the very ragged edge of range, the number of tries required can easily skyrocket to the point that it becomes impractical to send a message in this way.

Of course, the ability to send a message through more hops can correct this, as the reliability of each transmission will vastly improve. GliderBen did say that 10 mile transmissions are still quite reliable, even though they are FAR beyond the advertised range of the Gotenna.

4 Likes

GliderBen it seems you are using GoTnna in a glider in a very similar fashion to ADSB TCAST for conventional aircraft?
StorminMatt - agree mesh nodes with any external antenna would GREATLY increase range and reliability. meshing with long hops more feasible with external antenna from an airpane or glider or car.
What is MOAN? Does any Gotenna have a connection a port for connecting an external antenna? Goes the Pro version have a port?

1 Like

MOAN = Mother of all nodes, which is basically a Gotenna Mesh unit which has been modified to connect to an external antenna. A MOAN also typically includes provisions for remotely powering the unit, such as a solar panel and/or lead acid battery. With this said, the Gotenna Mesh does NOT have a port for an external antenna. The unit must be modified in order to connect it to an external antenna.

The Gotenna Pro actually DOES have a port for an external antenna. Unlike the Mesh (or V1 Gotenna), it can operate on either a UHF or VHF band. But the UHF band it operates on is different (lower frequency) than the ISM band the Mesh operates on. There IS overlap between the VHF band it operates on and the MURS frequencies the V1 operates on. But Iā€™m not sure whether the two are compatible. The Pro operates on licensed frequencies, and therefore requires an FCC license to legally use (not sure what kind of license).

Iā€™ve often thought that a consumer version of the Gotenna Pro would be REALLY, REALLY cool. Like the Pro, it would be dual band - you could operate without a license on either the MURS band at 2W (like the V1) or the ISM band at 1W (like the Mesh). This way, you could take advantage of the strengths of both bands (depending on what is advantageous in a given situation). And you could have compatibility with both V1 and Mesh units. Such a unit would also have an external antenna connection for those situations where extra range is desired (just imagine the point to point range with a Smiley 5/8 Slim Duck or Super Stick while operating in MURS!). Iā€™m not sure how interested Gotenna is in developing such a product, however.

2 Likes

We had our first test away from our home in the trees, & I was somewhat disappointed. On the beach @ Cape Disappointment, WA. (At the mouth of the Columbia River) and only got a couple Km. 46.2967, -124.0753 to 46.2784, -124.0766. And the campsite, 0.4 Km in from the surf and about midway between was mostly occluded. Short trees and a sand dune ridge were the obstacles.

Keep in mind that placement of the units can have a HUGE effect on range. For instance, keeping your Gotenna in your pants pockets virtually guarantees poor range. Even a jacket or hoodie pocket will work LOTS better. Mounting the Gotenna high on a backpack works better yet, but make sure it is not accidentally sandwiched between the backpack and your back (Iā€™ve made this mistake). And if you are more than just a short distance from the other Gotenna, it helps LOTS if you have your Gotenna on the side of your body facing the other Gotenna - you lose LOTS trying to transmit/receive through human flesh. Of course, if all else fails, you can hold your Gotenna in the air.

It should also be noted that these same things need to be considered on the other end. If, for instance, you try to position your Gotenna for optimal reception but the other person DOESNā€™T, you wonā€™t be able to send or receive well. If you are communicating with a base camp, it is probably best to hang the Gotenna there in a tree for optimal reception.

4 Likes

All good points.
HT best operating procedures continue to apply.

1 Like

For the most part, yes.

Hmm. Wonder if someone will invent a hiking hat with a GT slot on top!

3 Likes

What I call my ā€œgo to [heck] hatā€ is an Army surplus bush hat that I use the chin strap on to fold its wide brim into not so floppy and more triangular. Iā€™ve stuck my goTenna up there several times and with the chin strap running across the front, you can even strap your goTenna to it for extra security.

4 Likes

Photos or get outta here :wink: (But seriously, am curious!)

3 Likes

As my brother says, if there isnā€™t a picture, it didnā€™t happenā€¦ :smile:

4 Likes

OK, due to popular demand, this is what all the cool kids will be wearing, although Iā€™m pretty sure not everyone will choose tiger stripe.

Sorry about the angle, no selfie sticks around here, so the best I can do until my wife comes home.

7 Likes

@bbwr10coqsm Tiger strip is good. Iā€™m more of a multicam guy, myselfā€¦ :wink:

You should patent that quickly! LOL You WILL be inundated with requests!

2 Likes

For those worried about vertical polarization, hereā€™s the best that can be done, with your choice of front or rear mounting. The camouflage loops around the hat make alternatives possible and the straps on the goTenna make it easy. Usually, I just stick it in the rolled brim of the hat and friction is enough to keep it there, but if youā€™re in the woods, you do want to strap it down to prevent loss.

10 Likes

That is AWESOME!!! Good job!

1 Like

check www.parachutemobile.com

We will be trying GoTenna next spring. I know other jumpers have used them over long distances with good results.

Not GoTenna radio but I worked a station in Maryland on 20 meters SSB from California using 2 watts and a trailing wire antenna.

Any other hams on this chat?

Mark
AF6IM

2 Likes