Project Flightsuit

After searching for a mounting solution for permanently installing a goTenna on my cessna via minor alteration, Levil has the right idea with their product: http://levilaviation.com/thebom/ As no STC or Form 337 is required.

This will allow me to perform the installation as an A&P and approve the operation in flight as the pilot in command in my personal standard category aircraft.

To be continued…

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to promote this idea for some time. Imagine if aircraft flying overhead and boats below were gotenna relays, it would be awesome!

3 Likes

Shetchup working on bolt pattern… Question about signal propagation, which direction should the light face, down or to the side? I’m pointing the goTenna’s top forward.

1 Like

Looks like I was gone so long I lost the ability to load two pictures in one post.

Justin

1 Like

I seem to recall reading somewhere on here that someone discovered the signal pattern was stronger coming out of the LED side. So the LED should face down if on the bottom of your plane.

1 Like

Here’s pics of the CrashTenna, never mind the home-made switch, and the missing RF shield in the first pic of the LED side.

2 Likes

Thank you gentelmen, great info!
I should mount it upside down if the antenna is vertically polerized…? Point led to side so signal is spread horizontally? I know having altitude is job #1. I spend very little time below 3,000 above ground level.

Here is my test piece-

1 Like

If you search the posts someone here flies a glider.

3 Likes

Nice thread. I loved the BOM info.

1 Like

I believe the antenna is a cross polarized fractal antenna. Mounting it LED down will provide the best signal toward the ground if mounted on the belly of your plane. I recommend asking @Jin_Gotenna for more details.

1 Like

I totally get what you are saying, I am thinking there is less obstruction to the signals directly below the wing than to the side. I typically economy cruise at 90mph.aa

Antenna patters from whips are shaped like doughnuts, maybe I should point it down and aft at a 20 degree angle?

Aspexin- I remember someone making a range record in a glider, pretty cool! I can loiter as a highbird for about 2.5 hours before I need to stretch my legs.

Justin

1 Like

Here is the final design. It fits the bolt pattern of the outer inspection panel and uses the exact same parts even down to the panel screws.

gotenna%20flightsuit%20bottom Gotenna%20Flightsuit%20top

I’ve printed it once and for some reason the cavity is not being left open. It doesn’t matter if I select support structure or which side I print up. The initial image in my slicer is perfect, until I change to tool path mode, then it just infills the cavity.

I posted it on thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3072910

Justin

2 Likes

Nice work! Keep at it and the file will get better, cavity will be left open, etc. I know some folks who make model railroad parts with 3D printing and it can take a couple of tries printing a file to get everything working as it should. I really like how it advises there’s a “GoTenna Inside”

2 Likes

Rev 2 - rounded side is nose, pointy is tail.

Files updated on thingiverse

Justin

3 Likes

The slicer closed the opn side again! :confused:

1 Like

So I‘ve been extremely busy and have been out for a while,until I started this project… my profile, pic, and badges seem to have been been wiped out.

I’m not here for the badges, is there a way to turn them off? now that I think about it, I didn’t have a 1 behind my name either… too many irons in the fire!

Justin

1 Like