Project MOAN: Mother of All Nodes

I’ll send you some options. You in the US?

1 Like

Yes. I am in the wilds of Washington.
However, I am now leaning tword a patch antenna, due to the 180 southish coverage that I would need. I have pretty good confidence about doing a patch. Or preferably a patch array,

which is deep magic somewhat above my skill.
But life is for learning.
The image, 1Km rings from possible site. The yellow dot at the far side is ozblfq2j5yys’ node. 17Km off, I have not contacted them. yet.

2 Likes

That’s awesome @dennilee this is THE antenna I want to get: http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-900-mhz-13-dbi-120-degree-sector-panel-antenna

1 Like

THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME! Good stealth idea!!!

Yes, I think I saw that earlier. Nice antenna.
But I want it DIY for the cost of some FR4 & tupperware.

1 Like

This may not be the place but I’m trying to get a better grasp of everything that is going on.

1. how are you (the various “yous” in this convo) creating these coverage maps? Not so much the actual map creation but establishing the zones of coverage?
  2. if you create a more powerful node, then what is the capacity of the device to relay messages? In other words, if these get more popular how do you ensure that you dont create a bottle neck? For densely populated areas I would assume making the necessary hops isnt that big of a deal, but if you have pockets of users somewhat isolated from each other and one MOAN is linking to devices a distance away, at what point does it get overloaded?
2 Likes
  1. Elsewhere in these chats : http://www.heywhatsthat.com/
3 Likes

Thanks. I was going to ask about that.

2 Likes

I paid for one back when this first was posted. Never got it.
Now what ?

1 Like

That’s odd! DM @anon62894636 and she’ll make it right and send you something extra to make up for whatever mixup may have occurred.

5 Likes

Serious testing is under way to really see the best way to attach an external antenna. Results to come ASAP and then I’ll build some MOAN units for people :metal:t2:

Just want to make sure it’s 100% before production!

6 Likes

What pins need to be switched to get the MMCX active?

Hey guys, I am new to this, is there a how-to in this feed somewhere or did I just miss it? Would love a how-to in order to get mine going. Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome. @Johnstou The search button works. Try “Firefly” for a non invasive tweek, or “Teardown article” for my start . The first step is to void the warrenty.
Other than that it is all determined by your ability and desires.

2 Likes

@Johnstou Oh if you are talking about just starting to use your GoTenna, try the green thread, “Product feedback and support”.
Also, when one loads the app, there is some getting started stuff on it.

1 Like

Hey @whatamess05 how is this system working out for you?

Since we are close to getting the hardware mod as perfect as it can get this is what we are going to do with it…

Operation: Mesh Network Parallel (MNP)

Objective: To make an independent communications network using goTenna Mesh that covers most if not all of the Seattle area. This will be useful to all users especially in an emergency situation when other means of communication are nonoperational.

Plan: Place goTenna Mesh DASS-RS/MOAN units in strategic locations in and around the Seattle area to provide goTenna Mesh coverage to users. Locations include roof tops, com towers, hill tops etc.

Considerations: The Seattle area is topographically speaking difficult. This can be overcome by multiple node placements, use of high gain directional and omnidirectional antennas. Nodes will need to be maintained at certain intervals.

What’s needed from the Mesh community: Access to high areas (roof tops of condos, commercial buildings etc), involvement in testing of the network, donations of time and necessary equipment (extra Mesh units, antennas, unit enclosures etc).

SPECIAL THANKS TO: @Amon and @ShootAnyAngle

3 Likes

Mind posting this in the Seattle thread?

Already done! :slight_smile:

@gua742 thanks for asking! I really haven’t seen any drematic improvement with the external antenna. Its still operational and running as a relay, but pairing it to my iPhone with my Fiancé home, and driving all around the aerator hours on end only to gain a block more of signal than I had before. I’ve been studying topo maps of the area and using handheld GPS ( garmin etrex) to monitor elevations. Im admittedly disappointed, but hopefully I can figure something out. If something can be figured out, I do still plan to make 4 more and plant them around the area. Defiantly open to suggestion!

1 Like