Suggestions on inexpensive devices for use with your "extra" Mesh

Anyone up for building a list of Cheap compatible devices to keep with a stationary node or as a spare to hand to a friend in an emergency?

I’m about to go shopping for prepaid phones but Android/Bluetooth version numbers mean very little to me.

1 Like

Blu phones, or Moto E

1 Like

The iPhone 4s can run GoTenna and they usually go for about $50 on eBay. The downside to using old iPhones, though, is that an iTunes account is necessary to get the app running.

My work has several of them that I was hoping to repurpose for this task (even going as far as using Apple Configurator to preload the app), but unless I sign into the phone, the app won’t run. Something to keep in mind if you’re deploying phone/mesh kits to random people.

1 Like

It may sound silly, but are there any inexpensive Android equipped ereaders which would be capable of being used?
Root, add the software, connect, and go. With the idea of a low power system, an ereader seems like a good idea. For me this wouldn’t even be a spare device, but perhaps the primary device to use, as there wouldn’t be need for a fancy OLED ultra high-def powerhouse of a device for simple relay of SMS type messages, and maps.

1 Like

I’ve heard Amazon App Store is coming soon which opens up cheap Fire tablets but straight android is probably more future proof :+1:t3:

1 Like

Agreed, but I still think an e-ink screen ereader would be a good option. The Fire tablets are dirt cheap these days (last year we bought a bunch of them as Christmas gifts, and backup tablets while they were going for thirty bucks) but from a battery life standpoint, an e-ink ereader would make sense.

1 Like

I looked for eink and the only ones that run android are really expensive sadly. If anyone has links would be great to check out.

1 Like

This Android phone has a 3 day/5020 mAh battery, ‘Endurance Mode’ setting for $125.

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_624910.html?wid=83&currency=USD&vip=760163&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo4WD2e2u1gIVBBtpCh2k-AQ-EAQYASABEgLIrvD_BwE

I have not used/tested this phone yet, hence not really sure about performance.

1 Like

The more I think about it, the less important a long battery or a battery saving feature like e-ink is important, because Gotenna itself only has a 24hr battery (with minimal use), so you’ll need a way to charge it daily from solar/battery backup, may as well charge a phone at the same time. Since many of these are phones that early adopters will pair to stationary nodes or hand out as “mesh kits” to friends/family etc, cost is probably the most important factor?

1 Like

@scotchlover Thanks, I’d never heard of BLU. That’ll be on my list for my next phone.

@EmergentechRDI I too like the idea of eink but WAY outta my price range.

@Rahul_Subramany 18+Wh in my pocket?! Has anyone here seen one of these?

That’s where I’m sitting right now.
I picked up a ZTE Majesty for $25 but I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. It feels like a toy but at that price the 3yo might end up with it. I’ll report back when I can.

1 Like

So apparently, signing into the iPhone is only necessary when the app is pushed using Configurator. I just loaded it straight from iTunes without any sign-in on the phone and it ran. I bet that the app is still tied to my iTunes account in the background, but that shouldn’t be an issue as the phones will stay off the internet.

The Thor E looks interesting. Definitely a lot thinner than my S3 with its 3-day battery. With USB OTG support, the phone could possibly supply a charge to the GoTenna Mesh if needed.

2 Likes

Wow, $20 at Best Buy right now. Looking forward to your review of how it works. Some devices put bluetooth to sleep so pairing and leaving it plugged in and on for a couple days would be helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

The Alcatel OneTouch Icon Pop (A564C) works with the GoTenna Mesh. It is a $20 offering in the trakfone line.
5" display, 4 GB internal, with 2 GB available to the user
RAM: 1 GB, Android 4.4.2 KitKat, 1.2 Ghz quadcore Snapdragon 200. GPS
I think it will work with the GoTenna without the tracfone activated. I think I will get another one just to try that.

Most of us probably have an old phone or two (or maybe even a tablet) laying around somewhere. Why not put it to work? I myself have an old, deactivated iPhone 5 that I often use for either range testing OR as a spare to let people use with a Gotenna.

1 Like

I have the goTenna app running on a non-rooted 8" Kindle Fire. I did have to “side-load” the Google Play store, but once that was done, the goTenna app worked just like it does on my phone.

One thing I like about the cheap phones is that most allow you to switch batteries easily. I buy extra batteries for my devices that can take them. When you are camping it’s great. I have even powered cheap phones off 3 AA batteries just to see if it would work.

3 Likes

I see a few recommendations. Can anyone say they done some testing with said device? I.e. will blue tooth stay connected, does anyone have the device plugged in and running for a week or longer? I get a bit nervous with cheap devices being plugged in all the time. (As I plan to do with several of my stationary nodes to make them ping-able).

Does anyone know if this will work with the gotenna Mesh app?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blu-grand-m2-3g-with-8gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-black/6178624.p?skuId=6178624

I’m an iPhone guy so I don’t know much about the Android side of things.

Looks like it has bluetooth 4.0 and built in GPS. This would be a compatible device. Does anyone else use this device already?

1 Like

I had good luck with a Kindle Fire HD 8, not the cheapest, but works well.

1 Like