Sydney, NSW, Australia

I have just set up today in North Strathfield. Planning on having a relay node up and running by tonight (the location approximate only as my mouse skills were pretty bad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). If there are any other GoTenna Mesh users in Sydney please take time to add your mesh nodes on the map.

3 Likes

Number of posted mesh points in Greater Sydney to date (31 Jan 18):

Stationary Relays: 2

Mt Kuring Gai
North Strathfield

Area Nodes: 16

Allambie Heights
Asquith
Botany
Breakfast Point
Dulwich Hill
East Ryde
Haberfield
Hornsby Heights
Lidcombe
Little Bay (2)
Marrickville
Pymble
Randwick
Ryde
Sydney City

2 Likes

When I can I come visit? I am serious.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a Gotenna yet but Iā€™m pretty keen to set stationary relays and nodes. Which model should I go for here in Sydney/Australia? Got a position fairly high for the relay as well

1 Like

Since Iā€™m at it, can the Gotennas around Sydney currently connect, or do they have to be much closer? What sort of range is realistic here?

If I put one on (say) the 11th floor of somewhere around Surry Hills, Waterloo facing the city and Randwick - would the one in Pyrmont, would they be able to use that one as a relay?

goTenna Mesh is the only one licensed for use in Australia: https://gotenna.com/pages/mesh

Currently the spread of fixed nodes and mobile users is thin so they are not linking as a net. Location will be everything I suspect: if a group of users in a well frequented area such as Sydney CBD start to mesh it would likely spread because success will bring success.

So if setting up more users in the CBD or other such area as a first stage of a city wide net is essential.

1 Like

Itā€™s Mesh that gets me excited anyway - like I want to get tons and set them up in various positions - if only the Mother of All Nodes (MOAN project) were something lazy people like me could get off-the-shelf!

2 Likes

Awesome - can the same GoTenna Mesh units be used when travelling e.g. between Australia/USA etc? i.e. will they auto-adjust frequencies etc as needed?

goTenna Mesh will auto-tune to the region you travel to. Youā€™ll be able to use them when traveling!

1 Like

Sorry to revive an old thread, it seems itā€™s the only one we have. :slight_smile:

@Darwinmesh, is your relay at -33.852098,151.084674 still on? I was doing some range testing in the area the other day and from the test messages we sent, some were direct hits, some undelivā€™s but no ā€œviaā€ deliveries at all.

2 Likes

Good morning meshers! Iā€™m interested in expanding this mesh network in Sydney by placing units in strategic locations so we can all experiment with decentralised communications in Sydney. @danielagotenna. Do you have any plans on making these available to emergency services like police, and fire stations? It would be good if there was a static, powered node at every police station and fire station in Sydney!

2 Likes

Sounds awesome, where about in Sydney are you based? Iā€™m in Ryde.

Hi, Iā€™m located in Menai. Do you have any static nodes set up in Ryde?

LOL, only 24km in straight line, across two river valleys. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. :muscle:

ryde-menai

Unfortunately, with only two Gotenna devices in my household, I have no static node of my own in the usual rooftop-mount-and-solar-charger configuration. I do, however, try to keep my devices powered on 24/7 to help the network this way.

There seems to be at least one other node in Ryde, possibly a permanent installation.

Just curious, whatā€™s your maximum reach along the straight line from the map above? Mine is just across the river, at the Olympic Park wharf.

1 Like

GID 91712191167356 (0x536968937b7c) is my permanent node in Ryde, paired to an always-on phone so it will handshake even with unknown GIDs. I will not publish the exact location nor known coverage limits, to encourage others to test for themselves.
Any gotenna meshers living or traveling in the area (even driving on the West Ryde section of Victoria Road) are welcome to ping me or say hi. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In light of the recent health and political concerns, just a community reminder that our small mesh network in Ryde NSW currently covers the following schools and points of interest with a maximum 3-hop trip:

• NSW TAFE Ryde,
  • West Ryde PS,
  • Meadowbank PS,
  • Wentworth Point PS (weak),
  • Marsden HS (very weak / spotty),
  • Ryde Hospital (weak / spotty),
  • Ryde Library,
  • Top Ryde City apartments (some),
  • Blaxland Rd fire station,
  • West Ryde train station,
    as well as several child care centres in the area.

Currently NOT covered:

• Ryde SC
  • Ryde PS

Any gotenna families in the covered area, Iā€™d be grateful if you could please test and confirm my results.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve put up a relay node fairly high facing Surry Hills, Redfern and the south-facing buildings of the CBD - around 50m above street level. Iā€™ve also got a drone so Iā€™m keen to attempt some long-distance relay experimentsā€¦ Itā€™s got line of sight to quite a few other buildings actually

Just direct message me your contact number so we can coordinate a time for some tests.

Iā€™m thinking of putting together a node package with a solar panel + battery in a sealed lunchbox with foam padding, some silicon moisture-absorbers and being able to drop it onto a rooftop from a drone (with permission of course!)

The main hurdles seem to be that you canā€™t get a device to auto-start back into relay mode after a total power outage, which is likely to happen at some stage in the lifetime of a node sitting on the roof of a very tall building. It would also be nice to attach an aerial but again it looks like thatā€™s been deliberately prevented.

The same box could also house a LoraWAN device or such, itā€™s just there doesnā€™t seem to be a standard for that other than disaster.radio

Iā€™m interested in trying these (Ryde node coverage areas) out, would I just add your GID and message you there? Shout only goes one hop, so even if Iā€™m in range of some other nodes I have no idea what Iā€™d do to confirm it

Hi, Iā€™m still alive, still in Ryde :slight_smile:

However, the device with GID 91712191167356 is on its last legs: the battery has swollen and is pressing on the mainboard causing the app to crash every couple of days or so, and unfortunately Iā€™m having trouble rooting the device to extract the keys to a new phone.
If the device dies before extraction, Iā€™ll just reinstall with a fresh GID and set of keys - if that happens, I will let everyone know the new details.

Lesson learned: never install a production instance of the goTenna app on an un-rooted device!

In any case, please save GID 91712191167356 to your contacts and feel free to use it as a test target any time 24/7. If the app crashes, I usually restart it within 12 hours. And if the GID changes, Iā€™ll post the new one in this thread.

Good luck!