To set up as relay node or not?

I’ve seen a number of posts regarding relay node particularly one from LAFD and being able to ping GID but apparently that can’t be done with a relay node? So, should we set up relay nodes or pair to some random android device to setup a random GID but never plan on really using the mesh for messaging as its real intent is to relay? Should we then publish the random GID to the public map so people can see if they can ping it?

1 Like

That’s roughly the current situation with communicating with units in relay mode. However, this will soon change with the next major firmware update due in about May. Lots of support for stationary relays will be added to do what you ask about and more.

As for currently, there’s no need to publish a stationary relay’s GUID. It’ll work just fine even if it seems like it’s anonymous. The GUID is needed when chatting in one-on-one and private groups. For the relay, it sees things show up and simply forwards them by rebroadcasting the traffic it receives.

2 Likes

Totally up to you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I posted the [randomly generated] GID to my relay station (which is not set to actual relay mode) on the public map. I even left a note on the map inviting other users to test their mesh units by pinging it. And every couple of days I’ll even ping my home station just to make sure it’s working.

It’s up to you, but I think it would make a great way to allow others to at least interact with someone else’s station. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the idea. Is there anyway to respond with an auto-reply back mostly because I probably will not be near the nodes all the time? Just so they can get two way communication? I’m in the process of putting them out of relay mode and into paired mode.

2 Likes

This is what I am doing in my area also. I think its a great way to test and for others to test against

1 Like

If the mesh is on but not connected to the Android tablet will it still receive messages from meshes it has not seen before? This may be problematic if I take my tablet with me that is connected to one of the nodes and someone new tries to ping it. Or is the mesh self reliant even if not connected to the tablet. I saw somewhere the encryption is done in the app not the mesh itself.

An auto-response feature is an interesting idea! Right now, you could set up auto location sharing on those stationary devices. Then you could at least share your location with existing goTenna contacts.

2 Likes