It was a frustrating day in some respects, but we made a lot of progress in the end. Got one node up successfully (in the end). Ha dto delay
First, went to set-up UMESH 9. The node host took it up and tied it down on the chimney. He remarked on the great view towards the north and took a few pics, so may have some of that to post soon. Usually I like to spend a little more time with a new host and make sure the node is all squared away, but I was a little pressed for time because of scheduling two nodes in one day. I had trouble connecting home and decided to see if I could solve for things before the second appt of the day. A check was somewhat inconclusive but pointed toward the home relay and suggested loss of power during the recent gloomy period. I got it back in relay mode eventually, but it still seemed flaky at that point, so I vowed to come back later and sort it out as best possible.
A brief time later, I arrived at the site of UMESH 8, talked with my climber and we jointly decided the ladder just wasn’t going to be long enough. The node host has gutter cleaners coming, so we came up with a plan to ask them to set UMESH 8 in place. It remians pending, but will be done soon.
Still, wasn’t a complete bust, as after a long chat about what the mesh was my climber suggested another potential node site in a great location that he will check on and let me know. I’m not calling it UMESH 10 yet, but we’re very close. With 8 nodes up, we’re now 25% of the way to our goal of 32 nodes to mesh Urbana. With 3 more (one site in hand, one possibility, plus one more) we’ll be 1/3 of the way to our goal.
After supper, I headed back out to determine whether or not the home relay was up. It sure was and a drive around the mesh showed that the newly minted UMESH 9 seemed to be functioning well, I noted with some relief.