Force a GoTenna Mesh into Pairing Mode

Interestingly had the same problem. First two I paired up to phones went without a hitch. 3rd tried to set into relay mode out of the box couldn’t get it to work.Paired it to my Android Tablet and it immediately started to download firmware 0.13.48 so that is probably it. Waiting for the firmware to finish and if you don’t see me reply I got it into relay mode.

@anon62894636 I’m seeing the same thing on one of my nodes… I’m reasonably sure it doesn’t have the newest firmware, but since it’s not communicating I can’t update it either

If you’re having trouble getting a Mesh unit to pair/connect to a phone, make sure location services are enabled on your device. If I turn location off, my goTenna doesn’t want to connect.

Hi - I have the same problem. Two Mesh units, one will pair with any phone I have tried and the other is not recognized by any phone to pair.

I can pair the “good” one, turn off the phone and someone else can pair the "good"one right away.

Is there any way to force a reset on the Mesh unit or force pairing?

Travis

This seems ripe for expliotable abuses. What if I walked up to a goTenna I’ve spotted in the woods tied to a tree, and decide to take it out of paired/Relay Mode, forcing it to pair with my own device instead?

Doing so may have just cleaved a branch off of an existing relay network, without any authorization to do so. I would much rather see the goTenna maintain its paired configuration before and after entering Relay Mode.

IOW, the triple-press to enable Relay Mode can take it out of paired mode, but disabling Relay Mode should immediately restore its paired configuration, NOT leave it unpaired afterwards.

That’s bad. Really, really bad!

Yet, that is how it works. It’s either paired or unpaired, NOT a relay vs relay.

Just to confuse matters a bit, if it’s NOT in relay mode, it still acts as a relay when not being used by the paired device. When set as a relay, the main difference is that Bluetooth is shut down. You can’t just walk up and pair to it untouched, you have to physically cycle the power button tp put it back into pairing mode.

Obviously, if any radio is left unaccompanied or accessible in the woods, it could be vandalized, stolen, hijacked…that’s not unique to GTM. What is unique is that mesh networks tend to be self-healing. Unless it was way out at the edge of the network, service would likely continue albeit it might be partially degraded.

So it’s mostly not that bad, really, really not that bad.

1 Like

So, with the two units I have and want to pair one to a phone how do I do that? The “good” one is easy, just turn it on the second I have to power cycle and then I will be able to pair with the second phone? If that is the case, what ritual do I need to perform to power cycle it?

Thanks for helping out.

Travis

To pair with a different unit, first you unpair from the current paired unit via the button in Settings, following its instructions.

You can then pair with another unit via that same button, following the instructions again as to when to power up the node.

1 Like

Hey-- Just sent a DM about this!

This would not break legs of a Mesh Network.

To clarify: pairing to a relay node is not the same as pairing to a Mesh, generally.

When you setup your device in relay mode the pairing that can be established does NOT associate a GID. This means, you can ‘pair’ to view things like battery status, and in the future, relay stats. It does not make that Mesh the end recipient of messages. When this user leaves bluetooth range, or unpairs, the Mesh remains in relay mode. It’s been in relay mode the whole time.

When you pair to a Mesh normally, your Mesh becomes associated with your GID, making you the end recipient for messages addressed to that GID. Even in this scenario, the device will still relay messages, so, also not breaking a relay path.

Unless you intend to simply steal and power off the relay device, the network is intact.

2 Likes

I am having this problem as well. Had originally paired my phone with a different one but had to unpair it and connect it with a new one and the other one just won’t pair

Send a message to support@gotenna.com and they will help you solve this.

1 Like

Hi @Shahalti

Just shot you a DM to help get this fixed for you!

-Brad

2 Likes