Mesh 5.0 is here!

I’m working my way though updating my MX version units and had my first failure. Got a firmware update failed message and the unit will no longer pair.

I hope this is some kind of firmware immaturity problem. I’m started to get scared to upgrade.

Can you send me those steps as well? I have the same issue on IOS/Ipad 4 as well. I have 4 devices, 1 upgraded successfully, 2nd is stuck with this issue where it cannot pair after it failed upgrade at 100%, last 2 devices I have not risked upgrading yet. Thanks!

I killed a second MX unit. I’ve had two successes and two failures.

I say DON’T TRY UPGRADING or you’ll be sorry!

2 Likes

It might be a problem with earlier units. I got 4 from the Kickstarter campaign, but one of them was exchanged some time ago cause it developed a problem with the power button. All four are MX, but that one seems to have a higher number (no idea if that actually means anything though). The replaced one updated fine on Android, the other three did not even give me the option to upgrade on Android (Pixel 2 XL, 8.1), and as I said above when I tried on iOS two of them had the issue where they become unpaired after upgrading. The third one I just kept in the previous firmware.

I’ve just updated 4x MX units with my iPhone X running iOS12 developer beta. It went smoothly with all units completed.

2 Likes

I wish I had read the forum, 1 dead gottena 5 left to try. 2 are on peaks they won’t get done untill the problem with the firmware is fixed. So Where do I start after powering off and reloading the app.

Sdonovan

Should have read this thread before updating. Tried updating Mesh unit paired to my Galaxy S7, process seemed to go well. Status went to 100% then app tried to re-pair with unit. Looking for device, nothing happens. App prompts me to restart Mesh so I do. Now the Mesh unit gives me one slow-blink, then goes to continuous fast-blink. Interesting note: where the Mesh unit wouldn’t show up as a named bluetooth device previously, it now identifies as DfuTarg to my phone. From what I can gather that means the device is stuck in DFU mode. Any ideas?

1 Like

Came back to this thread hoping for a resolution to these issues. goTenna, I love you but this is not a good look.

1 Like

I think they are trying to get a new firmware version released. If I had to guess the early units were flying out the doors so they probably didnt have any left to test. It sounds like the newer versions are updating fine.

1 Like

I ordered 4 mesh units last week. They arrived, yesterday.

First thing I did was perform the updates. The first three units upgraded without issue. When I did the fourth one, it got stuck on the screen that states that the firmware had been transferred and that the mesh is performing the install. Let it be for almost an hour with white light flashing very rapidly. Shut the mesh off and turned it back on. White light flashes rapidly and I cannot pair with it. I did let the iPad screen go to sleep whereas, with the other three, I kept the screen alive by touching it every now and then. Maybe that caused it to hang after the firmware transfer?

I did try out the mesh using the other three. I am impressed! The distance amazed me.

I sent an email to support. Hoping to get the fourth one up and running as I am going on a fishing expedition where there is little to no cell service.

Eric

1 Like

Greetings Virginia. I was able to update MESH #1, but not #2 and I’m not able to re-pair #1. I have done the reboot, restart, powered off routine and even logged out without success. Any suggestions? Thanks! ~AJ

1 Like

Sending you a message!

VirginiagoTenna

Anything you can tell us about whats going on? Should people be updating the FW or not?

1 Like

Not precluding additional details Virginia might add, but here’s a summary.

Set aside the AA12341234 units for now. The update has a glitch and won’t install.

Issues with the update seem to be more associated with Android-paired units, so might be worth being patient until something specific is announced on this or maybe borrow a iPhone to do them. People are reporting successful updates, and some difficulties, so it can be done.

Updating the firmware won’t harm the goTenna. It might get stuck, but there are workarounds. All my updates worked on non-AA12341234 units using my iP5 and iP 6. Some were working units. Because of recent testing, we also had a small pile of GTMs that were said to be “fried.” All except the AA12341234 ones updated successfully. They’re working fine now, so maybe we should start counting these as “resurrections”?

People are eager for this update and it is very much worth the wait. Keep in mind that this is a creative process, so it’s not like there is a manual to consult. People have to collaborate, check on their area for issues, write new code, coordinate the update and package or otherwise make it available. And I suspect everyone involved is aware of the need to get things fixed, in fact wants it fixed right now just as much as all of us out here, so lets give them more than a day or two before we get all nervous if they don’t get right back to us. I’m pretty sure that unexpected delays are the result of staying busy working on this, rather than laxity.

2 Likes

Like a few others, 2 out of my 4 Gotenna Mesh borked on the Update and now seem to be stuck/bricked.

1 Like

I borked two of my four MX units using an iPhone so it’s not clear that any combinations are safe at the moment.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but it’s one of the reason I never liked the way this update worked. I was always afraid something like this was going to happen.

1 Like

MileL

I understand what your saying. My experience with firmware updates in the AB PLC world is if an update goes south you “brick” the processor. Meaning it was no longer usable. Hence my cautious approach. I already find it odd that the form they asked me to fill out for my AA12341234 units was asking me for my address. This leads me to believe that they left the factory with out a proper SN since many of the units have the same SN. Not sure if they plan to send new units out or have another way to update them.

For those of you who have failed updates and now have “un-pair-able” units what are you being told in the PM’s?

@MikeL - I don’t care if it doesn’t harm it except now it’s stuck where it will no longer pair. Which means until they tell me how to fix it, it’s Junk as I have no idea of what the working arounds you mentioning.

5.0 release updates!

Overall, Most of our users have updated to 5.0 without incident and we’re seeing incredible reports with regards to improved range and bluetooth connection. :tada:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback here! It’s helped us to diagnose a couple small issues. I’m glad to provide more information now that we’ve had a chance to take a look at the reported symptoms. We’re dedicated to making sure all of our users have access to 5.0, so have no fear if you’ve run into any bumps along the way.

We’ve just released an iOS app update, 5.0.1. This remedies a small bug found with regards to iOS updates. This version of the app should be available in a few hours as Apple servers propagate the update. After this update is available, all users (iOS and Android) should attempt the firmware update if offered.

Outstanding behavior:

AA12341234 units
Behavior: Pair goTenna Mesh, no firmware update is suggested. Open Settings > About > Device Information, no blue update firmware button is shown.

As you’ve seen, these units are not currently listed to undergo the firmware update. Our team is working on an update that will initiate the firmware update on these units. It’s close to completion and will need Apple approval. Timeline for this update is pending our internal QA and Apple’s approval process.

Units paused in DFU state.
Behavior: Firmware update ‘failed’ or reached 100% complete. LED light on goTenna Mesh continues to quickly pulse but will not pair.

Workarounds:

Step one:

1. Force close the goTenna app.
  2. Power cycle goTenna Mesh.
  3. Open app and attempt to pair via Settings.

Step two (if you cannot pair in step 1 and you have an iOS device available):

1. Open the app.
  2. Pair with goTenna Mesh via settings.
  3. Firmware update will complete messaging will be seen.
  4. If no messaging is seen, force close the app.
  5. Open the app, observe that goTenna Mesh is paired and updated to 1.1.8

Step three:

Contact @VirginiagoTenna / support@gotenna.com

Unit fails update, LED out.
Behavior: Firmware update failed. LED light on goTenna Mesh blinks once then remains out.

We’re looking further into this. Please contact @VirginiagoTenna / support@gotenna.com.

If you’ve run into any other behaviors, aside from those explained here, please contact me direct either through DM or via email at support@gotenna.com.

9 Likes